It’s a new year! Now is a great time to take a look at your health and well-being and take a step towards a healthier life.
What is Wellness?
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), “wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Because mental health and physical health are linked, problems in one area can impact the other.” For this reason, it’s important to take care of both your mental and physical health.
Find Balance – The Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Did you know that there are eight dimensions of wellness? Listed below are all eight and ways you can be well on Clemson’s campus! Keep these eight dimensions of wellness in mind as you make everyday choices, and try to improve any that you may be lacking or weak in. Find balance in your life!
- Emotional Wellness: having a positive attitude, high self-esteem, a strong sense of self and the ability to recognize and share a wide range of feelings with others in a constructive way.
- Maintain a positive outlook
- Build a strong support system
- Environmental Wellness: being aware of the interactions between the environment, community and ourselves.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Take a “leave no trace” hike
- Financial Wellness: understanding the importance of sustaining ourselves financially for the short and long term.
- Use a money management app
- Plan your weekly expenses
- Intellectual Wellness: being open to new ideas, thinking critically
and seeking out new challenges.
- Join a Creative Inquiry team
- Create a study group
- Occupational Wellness: seeking for and having a career that is interesting, enjoyable, and meaningful and contributes to the larger society.
- Attend the Career Fair
- Seek jobs and internships
- Physical Wellness: taking care of your body for optimal health and functioning.
- Sign up for classes at Fike
- Kayak on Lake Hartwell
- Social Wellness: the ability to build personal connections with others, deal with conflict and to be a part of a positive social network.
- Join an organization or club
- Spiritual Wellness: finding meaning in life events, demonstrating individual purpose and having the ability to be compassionate towards others.
- Attend a yoga session at Fike
- Spend time in meditation
- Healthy Campus: clemson.edu/healthy-campus
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): clemson.edu/caps
- Campus Recreation: clemson.edu/campusrec
- Academic Success Center: clemson.edu/asc
- Center for Career and Professional Development: clemson.edu/career
- Clemson Sustainability: clemson.edu/sustainability
- Student Organizations and Clubs: clemson.edu/campus-life/student-orgs
SAMHSA, The Eight Dimensions of Wellness. (2015, July 2). Retrieved from http://www.samhsa.gov/wellness-initiative/eight-dimensions-wellness.