You’ve been working hard all semester and are in need of a break! Luckily, Clemson’s spring break is almost here, and you get a whole week off. No matter what your spring break plans are, remember to relax, have fun and be safe.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO DRINK:
- Plan a safe ride home
- Stick with your friends
- Watch your drink when it is poured
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water to stay hydrated (drinking alcohol in the sun accelerates dehydration)
- Pace drinks to one an hour
IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE SEX:
- Get consent: a clear and sober “YES”
- Use appropriate protection
- Recognize a dangerous situation
- Keep friends from being a victim or perpetrator of assault
TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY
- Protect your skin: use sunscreen and wear a hat and sunglasses
- Use bug spray
- Stay hydrated and eat healthy: remember to fuel your body with nutritious, filling meals
- Exercise: go for a run on the beach, visit the hotel gym, go for a swim
- Relax: remember spring break should be a time to unwind and refocus
- Step up if a friend is leaving a party with someone they don’t know. Create a distraction, or say it is time to leave.
- Step up if you are worried a friend has consumed too much alcohol. Alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency. Knowing the warning signs and intervening if a friend is in danger could save a life.
- Consider using the ‘find my friends’ app or location tracking services on phones to ensure the safety of your friend group!
While it may seem like work, planning ahead will set yourself up for a perfect spring break!
- Do you need a passport?
- Do you need vaccinations?
- Is food included or should you plan to purchase? Should you purchase when you arrive or before leaving?
- Do you know your total budget?
- Do you need to fill medications before departing?
- Have you notified someone of when and where you will be traveling?
DESTINATION SPRING BREAK NOT IN THE BUDGET?
- Go backyard camping, hiking and exploring
- Host a video game Olympics or movie marathons
- Book a day spa or create your own at home
- Treat yourself to a special meal out or in
- Book a hotel room in town, and treat yourself to room service
- Try a new workout routine or recipe
- Binge watch a TV series
- Take a day trip to a nearby city or town
- Book a nearby concert
- Spend time with family and/or friends
- Sit outside and read a good book
- Visit a local lake or beach (At the Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Center by Lake Hartwell, you can rent canoes and kayaks for free! You can also play volleyball with friends on the beach.)